“TODO” means follow-on action items that we all get “to do” together!
Web3D 2020 was such a great conference! Thanks to everyone involved for your many efforts. We believe that these achievements provide lasting value throughout 2021 and in years to come.
This page is our shared worklist for post-conference activity to finalize Web3D 2020 achievements and prepare for Web3D 2021 participation. It is updated to reflect current needs, plans, actions and results.
Community, Coordination, Outreach
- Announce website update to registered users
- Announce opportunities for Web3D 2021 participation
- Calendar of milestones needed for Web3D 2021 preparation (TMRF, CFP etc.)
- Registration stays open so that people can freely join the conference community, receiving updates and potentially becoming contributors.
- User survey? Yes, we can continue with SurveyMonkey account.
- Who can draft post-conference survey for committee review?
- Bulk email? Yes, we can continue with MailChimp account (up to 2000 users).
- Likely we’ll have post-conference report plus monthly activity updates.
- Monthly video presentation series? Likely. Next up: Best Paper awards.
- Decide on names of long-term mailing lists at web3d.org so that reinvention (plus expense of creation, lost connections, etc.) doesn’t occur each year.
- Selection of Best Papers (and hopefully Best Posters) by Program Chairs
- Plan awards ceremony with awardees on Zoom? Likely first week of December. This would be an extension of our original final session.
- Information item: for Web3D 2021 Conference, it is likely that double-blind review will be required.
- Are there any 2020 finalization activities for EasyChair? Possibly. This is a good activity to perform with next year’s program chair(s).
- Create dedicated page for 3D assets and announce contribution by sponsor Korean Cultural Heritage Administration (CHA). Followup Hwanyong, Nicholas and Don.
- As mentioned on Conference page, discuss plans for follow-on journal efforts. We will plan on a meeting to continue this effort.
- Cleanup Neil Trevett video “scribbling” by bad actor? Khronos has offered to help us with that.
- Add CAPTCHA screening to Contact Us form? No longer needed, other WordPress protections are now in place.
- Please identify any other issues, if known.
- Adding live event recordings to complement prerecorded contributor videos… video editing in progress (adds “Replay” button).
- Review each event, insert table of missing presentations/videos, fix gaps…
- Tweet a summary with images/link for each contribution once confirmed complete.
- How to get conference chat logs and Q&A responses reflected on the site?
- Allowing live comments in each session might be too tricky, perhaps better for engagement and safety to let authors decide when something gets added to the live session-chat Q&A.
- Session training for student volunteers, speakers, session chairs consolidated or complementary.
- Separate training for organizers, presenters and student volunteers was very effective. If these saved sessions can go online, please do save and expose them.
- Any final adjustments? Please report when ready to pass along to 2021.
- Document production process used by Hwanyong’s team.
- Wondering if the Google drive is persistent, or if video should be transferred to web3d.siggraph.org site (after YouTube).
- Can we have a meeting to review video, when convenient to Korea please?
- Send trouble reports for our purchased 2020 plugins:
- What other plugins do we need for continuity through November 2021? None.
- We are taking a minimalist approach to plugins, avoiding security issues and unintended interactions.
- Thus no purchased plugins for MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, etc.
- Establish a framework for site metrics using Google Analytics. More to follow.
- Shay D Pixel: ask RapidCompact to create smaller version, Mario Nagamura review, add animation, post to site.
- Create plan to split pages into annual archives with latest year at top? Yes. This may be handled already since WordPress includes year in each asset url, filtering may be sufficient. This will be a team effort. The details are feasible and will be determined next year, we’ll see how to best do this for the long-term. We hope to have this ready for transition in spring time, meanwhile Web3D 2021 can publish as much as they want now and provide guidance on how they want it.
- Can we establish (someday) User Experience (UX) metrics? Good long-term goal…
- Once Google Drive video production complete, copy and publish entire set on YouTube Web3D Conference
- Budget: consider purchasing account in order to have regular url address. This costs approximately ___. Perhaps a donor opportunity.
- Need a plan for recovering missing conference videos from prior years and adding them to existing archives.
- Review ACM policy for Zoom conference support, any comments?
- Budget: need to extend one custom conference account for 1 year, in order to support teleconferences and special sessions. If we can’t afford one year, then let’s renew monthly until we have a sponsor to pay for it.
- Alternatively can use Web3D Consortium zoom as a backup for occasional meetings and events. This is nice but problematic since it is a limited-capacity account and we don’t want to have to repeatedly reinvent account settings (over 60 total).
- Please provide detailed feedback. We will share it with ACM and also Web3D 2021 Conference for work next year.
Everyone please think about your contributions to this report. Helping our successors and helping other ACM SIGGRAPH conferences is a big part of our value. Again thanks for your efforts!
- Budget review
- Summary of accomplishments
- Problems and resolutions
- Lessons learned