11 November 2021 @ 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM (UTC+1)
User Experience (UX) when Creating Web3D Scenes
- Amela Sadagic – Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)
- Don Brutzman – Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)
- Teresa Hardy – New Media-Design
- Nicholas Polys – Virginia Tech
- Feng Liu – Mercer University
KEYWORDS. UX, User Experience, Web3D, Web3DUX, User Categories, Web3D 101, User Experience In 3D Application, Usability
1. For naïve and entry-level audiences to generate interest in learning with 3D in concert with the Web.
2. Brief on what we know and call on researchers and UI designers to begin UX research on Web 3D applications.
3. Call attention to UX to programmers and UI designers while they design interactions or define standards to support interaction, such as manipulations/navigations with a use case study.
• 15 minutes: Introductions and course overview.
• 15 minutes: Working group goals and terms of reference used.
• 30 minutes: User categories characterization when publishing interactive 3D models together with Web assets
• 30 minutes: Lab tutorial, “Hello World” 101 with Web3D publishing in a WordPress website such as https://web3d.siggraph.org
• 30 minutes: Lessons learned to date regarding principles of Web3D UX design, best practices sharing, and call for UX research on Web3D applications
• 15 minutes: Conducting a usability study of the “Hello World” with the audience to examine usability issues
• 30 minutes: Resource sharing and open discussion
One of the goals of the Web3D standard is to support an easy user experience for end-users. Another goal is to support entry-level programmers to learn to build 3D scenes with a scripting language. This tutorial gives a platform to discover the learning obstacle for making 3D technology available to typical users. It offers audiences an interactive lab experience for creating the very first Web3D object/scene within one of the web browsers followed by a usability study. This working tutorial is also a platform to encourage researchers to share their most recent studies on the user experience (UX) with 3D technology and showcase the best use cases of user experience with 3D technologies on a diverse set of platforms. It also aims to call attention to UX to programmers and UI designers while they develop the 3D technology.